httpd-users mailing list archives

From Doug McNutt <dougl...@macnauchtan.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Downloading a CSV file
Date Sat, 14 Jun 2008 15:07:31 GMT
At 14:55 +0200 6/14/08, André Warnier wrote:

>And, by the way, your HTTP headers above are absolutely correct as per the specs, if you
want the file to be downloaded, and the "suggested" file name to be what you indicate.
>It's just that IE doesn't care, and has its own ideas about this.

As a scientist rather than a web programmer I have used ftp for a lot longer than http is
old.

My offerings as HTML anchors, served by apache, usually point to fully specified ftp:// URI's
which I keep in an ftp directory which is accessible via ordinary ftp clients. I haven't had
any complaints about strange formats and filename extensions including .tsv but rarely .csv.
The browsers, including IE, seem to pass the problem to an ftp plugin without complaint.

--
-->  The best programming tool is a soldering iron <--