httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Rejecting Invalid URL With a 503 Status
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:47:43 GMT
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Merton Campbell Crockett
<m.c.crockett@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Looking at the Apache access log, it's clear that Apache is processing a lot
> of requests from systems probing for vulnerabilities.  Rather than have
> Apache process the request, I would like to immediately reject all requests
> with a 503, Service Unavailable, status.

Can I ask: Why? Apache has to process the request one way or the other
in order to send back an error response. What's the difference if the
error response is a 404 or a 503?

> Can this be done with a series of RewriteCond statements specifying each of
> the permitted strings followed by a RewriteRule that rejects the request and
> terminates processing?  Is there a better way of accomplishing this?

Yes, you could do this with mod_rewrite, but I don't see the point.