httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] pipelining in real world
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2008 18:11:40 GMT
On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Andrew Gaydenko <a@gaydenko.com> wrote:

> Can anybody roughly estimate the fraction of http transactions with
> pipelining (and persistent, but without pipelining) among all transactions
> which take place everyday in the world?

Why do you want this information?

Anyway, the answer is relatively simple if you are talking about
ordinary web browsers: essentially all modern web browsers do
persistent connections, and no major web browsers currently enable
pipelining (by default; and very few people change this). So the
answer is near 0% for pipelining and near 100% for persistent
connections.

Things get a lot more complicated if you add proxies, robots, and
programmatic uses of HTTP into the mix. I don't have any numbers on
that.