httpd-users mailing list archives

From Res <...@ausics.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Setting up password authentication
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2008 22:04:20 GMT
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Paul Cocker wrote:

> I want to setup digest password authentication as a light deterrent
> around a development site (i.e. nothing sensitive, just not ready for
> public consumption).
>
> I added the following to httpd.conf:
>
> <Directory "/var/www/html/dev">
>        AuthType Digest
>        AuthName "Development Area - Authorised Access Only!"
>        AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache2/passwd/digest
>        Require user username
>        Order Deny,Allow
>        Deny from all
>        Allow from {ipaddress}

--->     Satisfy any

> </Directory>

> <VirtualHost *:80>
>     ServerAdmin administrator@domain.co.uk
>     ServerName dev.domain.co.uk
>     DocumentRoot /var/www/html/dev
> </VirtualHost>

keep it simple and put your directory container inside the virtualhost
block

> 1. I don't know what the significance of realm is, nor have I been able
> to find out.

its the name fo your realm that the username will belong to

> 2. Attempts to connect to this site get the username and password box,

as earlier, insert the satisfy option

> but all produce an Error 500 page, regardless of whether the correct
> credentials are entered or not. No files exist within /var/www/html/dev
> because I simply wished to test authentication.

Check you have the authconfig option? in your directory container add in
AllowOverride AuthConfig        ... its possible your global config
parameters are denying this. Also whislt your testing do something like
echo "it works" >  /var/www/html/dev/index.html
its not your problem but will help verify you can read the dir once you do
login.

--
Cheers
Res

I read usenet and lists in pine. But m$ outlook, thunderbird and gmail
often use html span/whatever for quotes, makes it hard to tell who said
what, so I dont try. If I ignore you, thats why! Use a compliant mailer.