httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Krist van Besien" <krist.vanbes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] RewriteEngine directive
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2008 13:49:40 GMT
On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Malka Cymbalista
<Malki.Cymbalista@weizmann.ac.il> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.  I actually read the documentation which is where I learned that
I can put Rewrite directives in the directory section.  My question is if there is any way
to get around putting
> RewriteEngine on
> in each directory section.  I have   RewriteEngine on   in the config file outside  the
directory section but this did not seem to be enough and I had to put it into the specific
directory section.

You probably put RewriteEngine on outside your virtual host, which is
indeed not inherited by this virtual host. You need to put it inside
the virtualhost. If you want to swithc it on in a directory section
you don't need to put it in each directory section. Directory sections
are merged, so you could conceivably put it in the root Directory
section. (I don't think it is usually a good idea to put rewritrules
in a directory context...)

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com