httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Krist van Besien" <krist.vanbes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] RewriteMap question
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2008 13:30:25 GMT
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Josh Trutwin <josh@trutwins.homeip.net> wrote:

> 1. if you update a dbm map file do you need to reload anything or
> will the apache rewrite module pull in the changes on the fly?

If you change the dbm map it is reloaded. No need to restart apache.

> 2. I see a script on the doc page to create a dbm map using perl -
> know of any php equiv?  google's not showing anything.  I have nothing
> against perl, just looking to keep everything in the same software.

dbm is a standard. There might indeed be a php library to produce these.

> 3. The text file format appears to use spaces to separate the map
> items.  If either of these contains a space assume can URL encode?
> E.g.

It doesn't have to be. It all depends on what input the script you use
to create the dbm map expects.

I have a similar situation, where I have a lot of URLs that I need to
rewrite. These are mostly URLs hardcoded in to mobile phone firmware
that point to content that now lives elsewhere. My solution is a Excel
spreadsheet maintained by the people responsible for the content of
the server, which I convert to a "tab seperated" text file. This file
is converted in to a dbm file with a perl script that expects tabs as
record seperator in it's input. It can ofcourse also be something
else. My next step is to build a web frontend to the dbm file so that
our editors can change the mappings directly. I intend to do this in
perl, but I asume building something like that in php will not be a
big problem.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com