httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Malka Cymbalista" <Malki.Cymbali...@weizmann.ac.il>
Subject [users@httpd] Forcing a page to be read from server and not from browser cache
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:30:23 GMT
We have created a system for a web site where   a person has to log in,  in order to see the
site. Every time a person requests a page in the site, it goes via a perl script which checks
to see if there is a cookie which indicates if the person has logged in.
We have put a logout button on the site so that when a person logs out, the cookie is erased.

The problem is, if a person logs out and then presses the Back button in the browser, the
page is displayed from the cache. If the person goes to a page that he did not previously
visit, he gets the login page. But if he goes to a page that he did previously visit, he gets
the page from the cache.
We have put the following lines on the page
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Cache-Control" CONTENT="no-cache">
but it doesn't seem to help and the page is still cached.  How can I force the page to be
read from the server and not displayed from the cache?
We are running Aoache 2.2.6 with mod_perl 2.0.3 on a Linux machine.
Thanks for any help.
--

Malka Cymbalista
Webmaster, Weizmann Institute of Science