httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Downloading a CSV file
Date Sat, 14 Jun 2008 18:06:13 GMT

Doug McNutt wrote:
> At 14:55 +0200 6/14/08, André Warnier wrote:
>> And, by the way, your HTTP headers above are absolutely correct as per the specs,
if you want the file to be downloaded, and the "suggested" file name to be what you indicate.
>> It's just that IE doesn't care, and has its own ideas about this.
>>

> As a scientist rather than a web programmer I have used ftp for a lot longer than http
is old.

> My offerings as HTML anchors, served by apache, usually point to fully specified ftp://
URI's which I keep in an ftp directory which is accessible via ordinary ftp clients. I haven't
had any complaints about strange formats and filename extensions including .tsv but rarely
.csv. The browsers, including IE, seem to pass the problem to an ftp plugin without complaint.

As a programmer rather than a scientist, from before ftp even existed,
why didn't I think of that myself ?
There may be a problem once in a while with a firewall, but it should
still work in many cases, and avoid these @#/¿¡+]^^! header issues.
It should even be possible to use Apache as the ftp server.