httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Downloading a CSV file
Date Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:51:28 GMT
Hi.

I suggest that you first make the following search in Google :
ie +"mime type"
and then read some.
It will tell you what you are up against.

In summary :
The behaviour of various versions and sub-versions of Internet Explorer
with respect to files received from a HTTP server, is variable, erratic,
and in most cases conflicts with the specifications of the relevant
Internet RFCs.
(I am hereby referring to the "Content-type" and "Content-disposition"
headers).

In the practice, it means that if you find one set of HTTP headers that
works with one IE version/revision, it probably will not do the same
with other versions/revisions.  In addition, I have found that even with
identical versions of IE, sometimes client stations will still react
differently, depending on which (other) program is installed on the
workstation.  (For example, you may find that depending on whether your
client has or not MS-Excel installed on his workstation, the behaviour
of IE versus your CSV files will change).
And since you cannot exactly control which version of IE your client is
using, nor the programs installed on his workstation, you're in trouble.

The only way that I have found to get a more or less consistent
behaviour, is to "sniff out" the IE version used by the client (see the
"User-Agent" request header), and adapt the headers you send in function
of that.
It's not pretty and no fun.
It will also probably cost you many hours of lost time explaining the
same over and over to your users and their system administrators, hours
for which MS will not compensate you.

If anyone else on this list has a different experience and a better
solution, please let us know.

Note that this topic has alrady been discussed ad nauseam in a multitude
of lists and web discussions, so adding your own complaint will probably
just be a drop in the ocean.
But I could not resist warning this new victim.

André