httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: How to configure Apache 2 to compress xml files on serving?
Date Sat, 14 Jun 2008 07:32:26 GMT

> HTTP/1.x 200 OK
> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 06:33:12 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.0.53 (Fedora)
> Last-Modified: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:10:29 GMT
> Etag: "14fc-b9387f40"
> Accept-Ranges: bytes

Exactly.  Because in the second case, the browser gets
"application/gzip" as the content-type, it thinks that what it has
received is ok as is, and does not unzip it.
While in the first case, because it gets "application/xml", it "knows"
that the content is really xml, and that it must unzip it first.

So new we must find what, in the first server, sets the content-type
that way.
One more question : on the first server, is the original file on disk
already gzipped, or is it in xml (unzipped) format on the disk ?

Since I don't have the configuration of the first server, I'm trying to
guess what it exactly does before it sends out the response.  It could
be taking an xml file, and gzipping it on-the-fly, before it sends it in
the response.
Or else, it could be "cheating", taking the already gzipped file from
disk, and sending it as is, but "falsifying the headers" to tell the
browser to unzip it.
It may be as simple as adding (or replacing) some line
AddType application/xml .xml.gz

André