httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: How to configure Apache 2 to compress xml files on serving?
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 18:42:46 GMT

Hi again.

To find out exactly what happens on one server (where it does it right)
and the other (where it doesn't), you should have a look at the HTTP
headers sent in the server response, in one case and the other.

I'll give you what I would use, because I am a perl user, and there is a
utility in perl that allows to do just that.  But I am sure that there
are many other tools available to do the same thing.

1) install perl if you don't have it yet.
2) at the command-line level, enter
lwp-request -m GET -Sed "http://server1/.../abc.xml.gz"

This will show you the HTTP headers, as sent by the server1.
The switches -Sed will prevent the actual content to be shown.

3) enter the same for server2
lwp-request -m GET -Sed "http://server2/.../abc.xml.gz"

There should be a difference in the HTTP headers.
The difference will tell you (or us) where to start looking.

André