httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Load balancing on Apache
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2008 07:47:14 GMT

Kirthi Narayan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We have two servers in different locations, We would like to share the load
> on this servers. This are my requirements
>
> ex: if any user checks the website www.fooo.com from California the request
> should go to California data center, if any user checks the website from
> Detroit the request should go Detroit Data center.
>
> If any other users checks the website from other location it should
> calculate the shortest distance/delay and reach the request to this
> appropriate data center.
>
> We are running LAMP applications on this servers.
>
> Please help me how to go about on this.

Hi.
This does not really sound like "load balancing" in the sense it's used
usually.  But I'm sure it has another technical name.

Just as a suggestion :
your main site (wherever) receives a HTTP request.
It examines the sender's IP address, and in function of that, decides
which of your 2 other servers (California or Detroit) should handle it.
It returns to the caller a "301" or "302" response to the caller
browser, along with the appropriate URL for the California or Detroit
server.  The pages on the California/Detroit servers should then be
written so that once it has arrived there, the browser does not return
to the original filtering server, but stays where it is.

I have a feeling that there must be more sophisticated standard
solutions out there, ready for use in that kind of scenario.

André