httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Diffeerent Apache Daemon on RHEL5.1
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2008 14:42:37 GMT

Krist van Besien wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 4:45 PM, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>>
>> Eric Covener wrote:
>
>>> Copying binaries doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
>>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> You're right, on the face of it it does not seem to make a lot of sense.
>> You should be able easily to run 2 instances of Apache from the same
>> binaries.
>
> Indeed, and that is what I do.
>
> I have a default install of apache on my (solaris) system, which I
> compiled from source, and afterwards didn't touch. I have it installed
> in /opt/apache/httpd-<version>. That way I can even have different
> versions of apache on the same machine.
>
> Then I have different instances of webservers in
> /opt/webserver/<servername>. Each of these directories has a conf
> directory, a log directory and a htdocs directory. I also make a link
> here to /opt/apache/httpd-<version>/modules and
> /opt/apache/httpd-<version>/bin, so that I can use this dir as a
> serverroot. I have a script that uses a servername as argument and
> that starts a httpd instance with the correct binary, serverroot and
> config. This allows me to start and stop each instance seperately.
> Myapache script in /etc/init.d just iterates over the directories in
> /opt/webservers and starts (or stops) them.

Hi Krist.
You are right, it is more logical and more elegant than copying the
binaries etc.. but I think the choice also depends on circumstances.
If you have just a few servers of the same type to take care of, then
you can do a nice and elegant job, organise these things once and for
all, and you can remember what you did and how it works.
The circumstances may be different if you have a lot of servers of
different types and have to install a new one every week.
Then you consider a solution that is maybe not so elegant, but gets the
job done, with a minimum of changes to the standard package
installations and updates and startup scripts etc..
I don't know which approach Eric will prefer in the end, but now he has
some elements to decide, and I guess that is what he was looking for.

André