httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] log roatation / delete for virtual domains
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2008 12:56:41 GMT
Or you could change your log rotation system altogether, and use
logrotate if your OS has it.
The general idea is : you dom't use rotatelogs, you write the logs
normally to a file.
With cron, you regularly run logrotate, as often as you want.
It has a configuration file that tells it which files to rotate, how
often, in function of which criteria, what to do before and after the
rotation, how many "back-copies" to keep before starting to overwrite
them etc..  It does this cleanly and without necessarily interrupting
the process whose files it is rotating.
"man logrotate" under Linux is pretty explicit.