httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Diffeerent Apache Daemon on RHEL5.1
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2008 14:45:18 GMT

Eric Covener wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Wilda, Jet
> <Jet.Wilda@chasepaymentech.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>        Check this http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/apache/users/351116?do=post_view_threaded
out.  I think that is what you are asking.

> Copying binaries doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Hi.

You're right, on the face of it it does not seem to make a lot of sense.
    You should be able easily to run 2 instances of Apache from the same
binaries.

But I think that what Jet is trying to tell you, is that that if you do
that, you will have problems with the standard system Apache start and
stop scripts, like /etc/init.d/apache2.

These scripts use for example the command "killall", which will
indiscriminately kill all instances of the same binary program running
at that time if it has the same name (meaning your first and your second
apache, all at the same time), and you will not be able to select the
one or the other.
(Even if you copy the script /etc/init.d/apache2 to /etc/init.d/apache2b
and call them separately.  Each copy will kill all Apache's).

So, if you start 2 instances of Apache from the same binary, you will
need to modify a series of other scripts in order to avoid that.
Copying the binary and give it another name may be easier.

André