httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Apache Log File 2GB
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2008 08:45:55 GMT

Andre Hübner wrote:
> Servus,
>
>> What is the advantage of having larger log files?  Why not rotate daily?
>> You don't want to rotate once it reaches 2GB.  You should be doing it way
>> before then.  Large log files are harder to search through and make sense
>> of.
>
> sense is to have one file that can be webalized cause webalizersystem is
> expecting one file.
> dont want to rescript the webalizersystem which is running on a lot
> maschines, just this server is problematical...

Hi, just my little 2 cent : we run webalizer with logfiles rotated with
logrotate.  The trick is just not to rotate the logfile (logrotate) more
often than you run webalizer on it.  Otherwise webalizer misses the
chunk that is rotated away.  But webalizer can intelligently reprocess
the same file, and is smart enough to skip what it has already seen before.
Better, use the "firstaction" config parameter of logrotate, to run
webalizer on the logfile *before* you rotate it.

another André