httpd-users mailing list archives

From Scott Jorgenson <dscottjorgen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ProxyPassReverse problem inside <Location> -- is there a fix?
Date Sat, 21 Jun 2008 18:44:14 GMT
Hi Nick and everybody,

I'm still having the same issue I reported here several days ago.  ProxyPassReverse inside
<Location> isn't working as expected in Apache 2.0.59.  Here is my mod_proxy configuration
in its entirety.

ProxyRequests Off
ProxyPass /abc http://<target-hostname>/cgi-bin
ProxyPass /def http://<target-hostname>/cgi-bin
<Location /abc>
    ProxyPassReverse http://<target-hostname>/cgi-bin
</Location>
<Location /def>
    ProxyPassReverse http://<target-hostname>/cgi-bin
</Location>

The problem is that only the first ProxyPassReverse has any effect.  When the <target-hostname>
sends a 302 redirect in response to a request made to this reverse-proxy, the Location URL
always gets rewritten to the /abc path (ie the path used in the first <Location>, ProxyPass
and ProxyPassReverse), even if the request was using the /def path (ie the path used in the
second ones).

For example, when my browser opens this URL (note Apache is SSL-enabled so its an https URL):

https://<proxy-hostname>/def/redirector.cgi

...and the redirector.cgi sends a Location with this in it:

http://<target-hostname/cgi-bin/whatever

...then my browser gets erroneously redirected by mod_proxy to:

https://<proxy-hostname>/abc/whatever

...when of course I would have expected it, and need it, to go to:

https://<proxy-hostname>/def/whatever

Any final ideas?

Thanks again,

Scott

PS.  As I advised before, it seems to be the same problem as was discussed back in February
2005 (see http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/new-httpd/message/52311 and follow the link to
Neil Hillard's problem report contained therein).  It seems as if the fix proposed at that
time did not get implemented, did not work, or at least did not make it into this version
of Apache (2.0.59).