httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_proxy - "proxy" aware?
Date Wed, 21 May 2008 15:17:41 GMT
On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Chris Franks
<chris.franks@newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our webservers sit behind proxy servers.  One one of the web servers,
> I'm trying to use "mod_proxy" to proxy content from outside of our
> network.  Can mod_proxy be made aware of the actual proxy servers we
> have?
>
> I'm trying to proxy secure content over https and have the following in
> my ssl.conf:

> ProxyRemote * https://www.remotesite.com
> ProxyPass /test https://www.remotesite.com/test
> ProxyPassReverse /test https://www.remotesite.com/test

ProxyRemote needs to point to the proxy server, not the final site.

I also have no idea whether this will work with SSL. I guess you are
expecting apache to connect to squid and then issue a CONNECT request
to create a tunnel to www.remotesite.com over which the HTTPS requests
will be made? Sounds like a nightmare. If at all possible, I'd just
blow a hole in your firewall for this particular server and avoid the
two-level proxy.

Joshua.