httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] question
Date Sat, 17 May 2008 13:04:09 GMT
On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 11:36 PM, Sergey Pustovit <psergeyv@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am new to the Apache. I am trying to learn how to build the my own
> website. I installed the  Apache and having problem staring it. The responce
> that I get is:
> "sergey-pustovits-macbook:Desktop sergeypustovit$ /apache2/bin/apachectl
> start
> (13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
> (13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
> Unable to open logs"

In order to attach to the standard HTTP port (80), apache must be
started as root. You seem to be trying to start it when logged in as a
standard user.

Your choices are:
1. Switch to root before running apachectl; or
2. Change the Listen directive in httpd.conf to point to a
high-numbered port (like 8000) and then access your server under
http://yourserver.example.com:8000/

Joshua.