httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alex Grässer <al...@computicket.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Establishing a new connection sometimes takes long (30s).
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 10:37:51 GMT
Thanks Matus

> > Why would this be a DNS issue? The problem happens on the SERVER

> because the most common reason for this is DNS issue.

Granted, but we have ruled that out by putting the names into the hosts. file. What is strange
is, that this does not happen every time a new connection is made. When requesting the same
page continuously, the connection gets disconnected after the 100th call. As it should because
of the KeepAliveRequests setting. When the client reconnects, it sometimes is near instantaneous
and sometimes takes up 30seconds. The times vary from 35ms to 30seconds.

> > and HostnameLookups is Off!

> isn't it turned on somewhere?

The HostnameLookups setting is global. I have not tried to put it into each VirtualHost. But
if it were turned on would you not see the resolved host names in the access.log?

> > Also the VirtualHosts are IP based so there is no name to be looked up.

> this is completely irrelevant to DNS. The only think that matters here is,
> that when there is host name in <VirtualHost> directive, it is being looked
> up at start or reconfigure, but it does not affect request processing

> > The problem seems to occur BEFORE Apache even receives the message.

> another reason might be an IDENT being required...

This is a straightforward HTTP GET request. I don't think IDENT is a problem here.

> > Does Apache count (reverse) DNS lookups towards the execution time?

> I guess so.

Then you should see the time in the access.log, which we are not.

Thanks
Alex