httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] lbmethods in mod_proxy_balancer
Date Fri, 30 May 2008 12:50:56 GMT

On May 29, 2008, at 5:38 PM, andrzej wrote:

> Hi,
>
> module mod_proxy_balancer can make decision basing on volume of
> traffic or number of requests. How, for example, this volume is
> counted? Is it counted from the time server starts (hope not) or
> maybe it is counted in 10 minutes period (after 10 minutes values
> read and transfered are reset  and counted from zero)? Where/how can
> I change this time?

It is counted after each request... that each, the counters are
updated with info after each request.

They are not "reset" or "aged" for a number of reasons:

   1. The overhead associated with it. Esp something like what
      is done in mod_jk...
   2. Validity: LBs try to maintain an overall average. If
      you occasionally "reset" then you lose knowledge of
      the past and so you are only averaging over smaller
      time-periods... It's like the difference in tracking
      stocks short-term rather than long-term. LB is a long
      term action.

The only reason I can see for some kind of "reset" is to
avoid overflow, but even then you don't want to "reset" to
0 but rather do a uniform normalization.

Why is the current behavior bad and why do you want to change
it?