httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Bowman <ebow...@boboco.ie>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] authenticating 1K+ users
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 17:39:37 GMT
Chris Africa wrote:
> We have some PHP web sites set up to authenticate users via Cosign
> using the AuthGroupFile and Require group directives, with groups and
> users defined in an .htaccess file
>
> I'm setting up a new site that will have 1000+ users over time. I
> understand that the single .htaccess file is not the best way to do
> authentication with a large group of users. What methods are other
> admins out there using to authenticate large groups of users?
>
> As background, we run a single server running Apache 2.x, Cosign 2.x,
> MySQL 5.x on Mac OSX Server 10.5.2. We previously used the Zope
> application server which handled our authentication/authorization for
> us, so this is new territory for me.

Hi Chris,

There's a decent overview of the various common approaches here:

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialApacheAddingLoginSiteProtection.html

LDAP would be my own preferred most-scalable approach, although getting
it up and running is not for the faint of heart. For 1000+ users
probably using MySQL is the most straightforward approach that will work
Just Fine.

cheers,
Eric