httpd-users mailing list archives

From Pedro <pst...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Configuration Advice MaxClients
Date Thu, 08 May 2008 08:02:59 GMT
Hi everyone,

We recently configured a new front and backend (Apache 2.26 -> Tomcat 6)
with the AJP connector. It seems to be working great, but when we began
load testing we realized we had to tweak it a little, the machines are
quad cores with 16 gigs running on Linux.

My question is how many threads are available by default to Apache? I
discovered Tomcat had only 20 threads by default, so I increased this to
(maxThreads="256"), as far as I understand this is the default for
Apache, is this correct? is this setting optimal for the hardware? The
site is not very busy, but I would prefer that is is a little scalable
to support at least +- 300 concurrent sessions.  Is there anything else
I should consider to allow these servers to perform better on the new
hardware?

Thanks for your help,
Peter

PS: The configuration:

<!-- Apache 2.26-->
   ProxyPass          /approot             ajp://mydomain.com:8009/approot
   ProxyPassReverse      /approot          ajp://mydomain.com:8009/approot

<!-- AJP 1.3 Connector on port 8009 in Tomcat 6 -->
<Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3"
      connectionTimeout="20000"
      enableLookups="false"
      redirectPort="8443"
      maxThreads="256"/>