httpd-users mailing list archives

From matt.fa...@gmail.com
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Trouble Shutting Apache Down
Date Sun, 25 May 2008 23:03:41 GMT
You appear to be unfamiliar with the basics of your operating system. The answer is just to
press the little x on the top right of the "apache window"
Ctrl+C will work just fine if you use the apache command from the location of your apache
binary.
You can also just hit Win+R, type in the full path to apache.exe and hit enter to start it.
.Eg. C:\apache-files\apache.exe
And use another command window and type in either
Taskkill /im apache.exe
Or
Taskkill /F /im apache.exe
to stop apache

Oh and installing as a service would be so much easier espcially as it is the standard method
and you will gain real world useage experience. It uninstalls just fine, so go on take the
plunge and you won't have to touch the command line if you don't want to, you can use the
services.msc GUI..

-----Original Message-----
From: anonymous <blockstack@gmail.com>

Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 10:33:50
To:users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Trouble Shutting Apache Down

I recently installed the Apache 2.2 binary, from the msi for XP.
I'm just using it for experimenting, so I decided not to install it as a service.
I tried to start it by running "apache" from the command-line as stated in the manual, but
that command doesn't exist on my system.
 PATH is set correctly, plus I examined the Apache2.2 folder, and it isn't present.
I then used the shortcut "Start Apache in Console" from the start menu, which did work.
A console running apache opens, and remains open.
 Apache works fine.
The manual clearly states that apache can be shutdown by either pressing CTRL-C from the open
console, or by typing httpd -k shutdown from another console window.
Neither of these methods work.
 The httpd command appears to work only when apache is run as a service. The error message
produced for httpd -k shutdown|stop is that no such service is present.
Why is the command "apache" mentioned in the windows section of the documentation, when it
isn't present?
 Why is the option "shutdown" mentioned in the documentation when it isn't present in the
httpd manual page?
How can I shutdown the server nicely when started from the command line, and not run as a
service?