httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Tim Gustafson" <...@soe.ucsc.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_rewrite to fix trailing slash problem
Date Thu, 15 May 2008 15:59:53 GMT
Hi,

I have a web page that works when you include the trailing slash:

http://www.foo.com/blah/

But, if you leave the trailing slash off, it does not work and you get a 403
error:

http://www.foo/com/blah

So, I tried to fix this using some mod_rewrite rules, as follows:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/$
RewriteRule (.*) $1/ [R,L]

But it seems that the "-d" test is always failing.  If I comment that part
out, then *everything* gets a "/" appended to the end, which of course
doesn't work.  I tried using "!-f" instead, and got similarly bad results.

I've Googled this and read lots of solutions that all look more or less like
what I've posted above, but none of them seem to actually work.

Is there something I'm missing here?

FWIW, I'm running Apache 2.2 on CentOS 5.1.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Tim Gustafson
SOE Webmaster
UC Santa Cruz