httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Trouble Shutting Apache Down
Date Sun, 25 May 2008 23:20:58 GMT
I've seen all the movies and I'm bored, lets talk ;)
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: anonymous
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Sent: Sunday, May 25, 2008 7:33 PM
  Subject: [users@httpd] Trouble Shutting Apache Down

  I recently installed the Apache 2.2 binary, from the msi for XP.
  I'm just using it for experimenting, so I decided not to install it as a service.
  I tried to start it by running "apache" from the command-line as stated in the manual, but
that command doesn't exist on my system.

      Its actually httpd.exe ... that works

  PATH is set correctly, plus I examined the Apache2.2 folder, and it isn't present.
  I then used the shortcut "Start Apache in Console" from the start menu, which did work.
  A console running apache opens, and remains open.
  Apache works fine.
  The manual clearly states that apache can be shutdown by either pressing CTRL-C from the
open console, or by typing httpd -k shutdown from another console
  window.

      CTRL-C does work
      Yes I see httpd -k shutdown  does not work on my system, could be because its looking
for a configuration file that we both dont have set up

  Neither of these methods work.
  The httpd command appears to work only when apache is run as a service. The error message
produced for httpd -k shutdown|stop is that no such service is present.
  Why is the command "apache" mentioned in the windows section of the documentation, when
it isn't present?
  Why is the option "shutdown" mentioned in the documentation when it isn't present in the
httpd manual page?
  How can I shutdown the server nicely when started from the command line, and not run as
a service?

      You know, this is actaully just the nature of open source, guys doing it for gratis,
havnt got the docs quite right, for all scenarios.
      But it does say... do the windows service thing and that I can tell you works really
well.

      Dont let it put you off this product... you are going to bang your head a few times,
opening ports up and stuff, and the nature of the thing is that once its running the help
is right there in the thing.... /manual

      Its a great product, and even though most of the developers are real geeks on linux
and think windows sucks etc... its great on windows as well.

  The only real POJO Application Server.