httpd-users mailing list archives

From Pam Astor <pamas...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] .htaccess for script aliased directories‏
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:43:15 GMT

> > I am trying to password protect a sub directory within the web space of a> >
domain that is serving site statistics of awstats generated pages. The path> > to the
dir is /home/user1/www/awstats. When testing, I am able to get a> > username and password
prompt for the front page of the site, i.e. for> > www.mydomain.com, when I place the
.htaccess file in www. But I can't get a> > functional prompt for www.mydomain.com/awstats
when I place the .htaccess in> > the awstats dir. The login box comes up but it won't
accept my username> > password combo, even though it will accept it when I have the
same .htaccess> > file in the www dir.> > See:> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/htaccess.html>
> Your problem is that you don't have AllowOverride set correctly for> the relevant
directory. But beyond that, you probably don't want to be> using .htaccess at all. Just
put the directives in the relevant> <Directory> section in httpd.conf.> > Joshua.
Thanks Joshua,

I read the above DOC you posted thanks.  Just to clarify, do you
reccomend that I use the <Directory> method in the main httpd.conf file
as described in the above, instead ot .htaccess?
http://www.gowindowslive.com/Mobile/Landing/Messenger/Default.aspx?Locale=en-US?ocid=TAG_APRIL