httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Wilda, Jet" <Jet.Wi...@ChasePaymentech.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] High availability concept question
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:09:18 GMT
We use F5 BIG-IP LTM
http://www.f5.com/products/big-ip/product-modules/local-traffic-manager.
html though there are many options including the open source pound
http://www.apsis.ch/pound/.

Enjoy,

~Jet

________________________________

From: Adam Martin [mailto:Adam.Martin@infor.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:17 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] High availability concept question

If I load balance between two 2.2 Apache HTTP Servers on two separate
physical servers, what type of device or software can I place in front
of the web servers to allow users to access either web server via one IP
Address?  I did a quick search in the documentation but wasn't sure what
to look for.  Would it be as simple as pointing the users to a router
configured with some type of forwarding?  How do I prevent this device
from becoming a single point of failure?  I know these questions are not
Apache specific, at least I don't think they, but after being a member
of this list for a couple of months and seeing the level of expertise on
this board I figured someone could point me in the right direction.  I
am not asking for a how-to response, just concepts on where to start to
start looking or which documentation I should look at.  Thanks.

Learn more about Chase Paymentech Solutions,LLC payment processing services at www.chasepaymentech.com.

THIS MESSAGE IS CONFIDENTIAL.  This e-mail message and any attachments are proprietary and
confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you
are not the intended recipient, you may not print, distribute, or copy this message or any
attachments.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete this message and any attachments from your computer.