httpd-users mailing list archives

From James Mandy <ja...@cybix.com.au>
Subject [users@httpd] need 'high traffic' config
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 03:07:58 GMT
Hi all, new here,

I administer a bunch of servers for a client who runs a very busy web
site that serve's js, php and images. (what a cocktail!)

He's serving 300Gig of data a day, and over 30 mil hits a day to this
data which is mainly the images, some flash.. static content

The server has plenty of cpu, 4Gig ram, RAID, etc. It's fast. During
busy periods, requests are taking a long time. checking the server I
see it's not under much load and there's usually always still 2Gig of
memory free on the machine. I suspect that clients are 'waiting' for
access to apache when the machine is getting a lot of hits. I'm
thinking my configuration is just wrong.

I'm wondering if there's anyone here who runs a high-traffic server
like ours who might have some experience in tweaking apache for this
kind of work? I'd love to chat with you. We are even willing to pay
for someone to help us dial this baby in if need be.

I'm happy to discuss the finer details of our infrastructure with
someone that would be willing to help us. Here's a little look at some
of our httpd.conf:

Timeout 20

KeepAlive Off  (turning this on seems to make things crawl)

<IfModule prefork.c>
StartServers 8
MinSpareServers 15
MaxSpareServers 20
ServerLimit      500
MaxClients       500
MaxRequestsPerChild 10000
</IfModule>

Also getting a lot of this in /var/log/messages: (all the time)

Mar 29 11:05:57 sls-hc16p2 kernel: possible SYN flooding on port 80.
Sending cookies.
Mar 29 11:05:57 sls-hc16p2 kernel: TCPv6: dropping request, synflood
is possible

Thanks! James