httpd-users mailing list archives

From John Almberg <jalmb...@identry.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Estimating bandwidth requirements
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 23:16:34 GMT
I am moving my web server from a mom & pop colocation facility that
was pretty lax about bandwidth (and also lax about keeping up their
network, which is why I'm moving), to a 'real' colocation company
that means 256K fixed, when it says 256K fixed.

I've already figured out that 256K fixed is too low (a graphics heavy
website takes a few seconds to load). But how can I estimate how much
bandwidth I really need?

The web server has about 50 websites with relatively low traffic...
The average load, in and out combined, is about 100Kb/sec. The colo
provider offers both fixed and burstable bandwidth choices.

Any guidance or pointers to documentation much appreciated.

Brgds: JOhn