httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Krist van Besien" <krist.vanbes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] url proxying
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:28:26 GMT
On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 9:48 AM, Melanie Pfefer
<melanie_pfefer@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
>  I want to enable proxying from apache to a tomcat application running on ssl.
>
>  Redirection is working:
>  RewriteRule /abc/  https://remoteserver:8443/abc/ [R=301,L]
>

>  But proxying is not:
>  RewriteRule /abc/  https://remoteserver:8443/abc/ [P,L]
>
>  In redirection:
>  http://myapache/abc/ goes to https://remoteserver:8443/abc/ but this is shown in the
url which is not my intention.

>  Any idea how to fix the proxying?
>  thanks

Apache can't proxy to https urls out of the box. You need to do some work.

you need to add the following to your config.

# turn on SSL proxying.
SSLProxyEngine On

# to tell Apache where to find CA certificates to check remote server
certificates with:
# (You can choose yourself where you put these certificates)
SSLProxyCACertificatePath /path/to/ca/certificates.

Then in this path you need to put the CA certificate(s) used to sign
the certificate(s) used by the server(s) you communicate with. If you
want to talk to a server that uses a "self signed" certificate you
will need to put it in this dir too.

Once you've done that you need to run c_rehash in that directory.
c_rehash is part of a standard openssl distribution. c_rehash creates
hashed aliases in this dir. Apache needs these.

In order to test if everything is there you can do the following:

openssl s_client -CApath /path/to/ca/certificates -connect remoteserver:8443

if the conenction succeeds just try to do a
GET /abc/

and see if you get something. If all goes well it should work for apache also.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org