httpd-users mailing list archives

From Guy Waugh <gwa...@scu.edu.au>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] High availability concept question
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 23:50:34 GMT
Adam Martin wrote:
> If I load balance between two 2.2 Apache HTTP Servers on two separate
> physical servers, what type of device or software can I place in front
> of the web servers to allow users to access either web server via one IP
> Address?  I did a quick search in the documentation but wasn’t sure what
> to look for.  Would it be as simple as pointing the users to a router
> configured with some type of forwarding?  How do I prevent this device
> from becoming a single point of failure?  I know these questions are not
> Apache specific, at least I don’t think they, but after being a member
> of this list for a couple of months and seeing the level of expertise on
> this board I figured someone could point me in the right direction.  I
> am not asking for a how-to response, just concepts on where to start to
> start looking or which documentation I should look at.  Thanks.

One (open source) solution would be to use an LVS load balancing server
(http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org) to do the load balancing. If you
want high availability (no single point of failure in the load balancer)
couple LVS with heartbeat (http://www.linux-ha.org), so that if your
active load balancer fails, the inactive load balancer takes over.

There is a learning curve with both those technologies, so if you don't
have much time (or even if you do), it might be worth a visit to
http://www.ultramonkey.org, Simon Horman's project site, in which he
supplies prebuilt packages to combine LVS and heartbeat together.