httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Multiple processes are running when start apache2.2.8 on solaris2.9 machine
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:55:10 GMT
Narendra Verma wrote:

> So I got its running properly but problem  is it starts multiple httpd
> processes.

Uhm, you aren't invoking it properly, see the apachectl script for starting
and stopping httpd.  It shouldn't be invoked directly unless you know
exactly what you are doing (which evidently isn't the case).

> Can any body tell me that why it is starting multiple processes.

httpd forks off processes to do the work.  The one you start is a monitor
and overseer responsible for ensuring there is a worker to do the work.