httpd-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel E <emmanue...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] The simplest of questions ...
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 07:58:41 GMT
Trying to send this message across for the third time - wonder why the
spam score keeps exceeding the treshold

I didnt quite get you there - how does a web interface use sftp? Java
applets or something?

Regarding file upload/download, I agree with you that there should be a
better way. Alternatives that I can think of which would be:

1) WebDAV
apache supports webdav, and MSIE has it built in, though probably
wouldnt work as effortlessly on non windows machines . there is also a
FF windows only addin http://openwebfolder.mozdev.org/
I like this approach as it allows single/multiple file drag and drop.

2) Using the PUT method.
This was meant to be the way for placing files on the server using the
HTTP protocol. unfortunately i think it didnt achieve critical mass
amongst web users and slowly fell into disuse. apache dosent support
except through a script though there is a mod_put available here -
http://perso.ec-lyon.fr/lyonel.vincent/apache/mod_put.html and i doubt
any web browser supports it.

3) Use scripts on the server side - simple ones like the one i sent or
more complex ones like what picasa uses.

one of the biggest problems i face with uploads is that typically file
transfers cannot be resumed over HTTP. dont know if dav allows resume
and if clients support it.