httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Browser handling of 413 Request Entity Too Large
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:53:38 GMT
Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> Hi all, running into this on an old Apache 2.0.46 installation
> (actually httpd-2.0.46-70.ent from RHEL 3 Update 9).
>
> When a user attempts to upload a large file it's exceeding the
> LimitRequestBody size and Apache returns a 413 error.  It appears
> however that the browser (IE6 and FireFox 2.x in this case) do not
> display the 413 message and instead show an error as if the connection
> has been reset.
>
> Upon examination of the packet stream I do see the 413 message reaching
> the client, but after that the server immediately sends RST,ACK packets
> to tell the client to quit trying to send data.  I'm guessing this is
> triggering the browser to just abort instead of showin the 413 error
> page.
>
> Is this something that could be handled differently by Apache

yes - Apache could consume the entire message body.  Issue is that you
likely limited request bodies for a good reason (e.g. traffic limiting)
so there is no desire to do this.

Could we perhaps consume and discard an additional LimitRequestBody amount
of traffic before our read-close?  Probably it's worth a hack to find out
if this helps the client any.