httpd-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Antony <tho...@antony.eu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Which user to run?
Date Sun, 13 Apr 2008 08:49:55 GMT

> Hello,
>
> in the default configurations I know apache runs as a dedicated users
> (e.g. www). This user has no login shell set thus it is impossible to
> login as this user and it usually has no home dir set either.
> With my setup I have an (human) user hat has a login shell and homedir.
> This users manages the data in the Document Root via SSH. The problem
> that occurs within that setup is that files created by apache are owned
> by user www thus read only to the human who manages these files.
>
> What is best way to cope with this problem?

Hi,

For cgi's use suexec.
For php use mod_suphp or run php as cgi with mod_fcgid and suexec. The
combination mod_fcgid with suexec is faster then mod_suphp and you gain
more features with mod_fcgid. For example you can use mpm_worker with
php which you shouldn't use without mod_fcgid (or mod_fastcgi) because
some php modules aren't thread safe.
mod_suphp will be much easier to install, configure and manage compared
against mod_fcgid with suexec.
It reallay depends on your needs.

http://www.suphp.org/Home.html

http://fastcgi.coremail.cn/