httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Alastair Roy" <Alastair....@Express.co.uk>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] The simplest of questions ...
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:30:21 GMT
This sounds like a firewall problem, do you have a firewall installed on
the PC, check if this is maybe blocking port 80

From: Rich Bowen [mailto:rbowen@rcbowen.com]
Sent: 22 April 2008 16:11
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] The simplest of questions ...

On Apr 22, 2008, at 11:00, Tall Paul wrote:

I am guessing that this is the simplest problem there is but it has me
stumped. I installed Apache and PHP and ran the localhost tests and all
is well. I have a static IP and I am behind a US Robotics router in
which I forwarded port 80 to this PC. I sent my IP (68.82.124.204) to my
sister and asked her to test the server. She put http://68.82.124.204 in
her browser and got the "page not found" message. So she tried
http://68.82.124.204:80 and got the same results. From what I understand
I cannot access my own server via my own IP so that leaves 2 questions.

1. What does someone have to enter in a browser to access my server?

2. How can I test the connection short of using someone else's internet
connection?

First of all, it's very helpful to test this kind of thing in something
other than Internet Explorer, so that the error message doesn't try to
be smarter than the user. I'm not getting a "page not found" message at
that address, but getting a "connection refused" message there, which
indicates that either the router is not, in fact, forwarding the IP
address, or that your ISP blocks port 80. The latter is actually
extremely common - most ISPs don't want you running a website without
paying more for the service. Try running on an alternate port such as
8080 or 8888, and see if it works there. Or call your ISP and ask what
their policy is on hosted services.

--

Rich Bowen

rbowen@rcbowen.com

Visit our websites:
http://www.express.co.uk The World's Greatest Newspaper
http://www.dailystar.co.uk Simply The Best 7 Days A Week
http://www.ok.co.uk First For Celebrity News
http://www.new-magazine.co.uk If It's Hot It's Here
http://www.northernandshell.co.uk The Mark Of Excellence
http://www.expresspictures.com  Express Newspapers and OK Magazine online picture archive

Also visit:
The NMA: Opening Up Newspapers http://www.nmauk.co.uk
EXN2006
Any views or opinions are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of Express Newspapers
and/or privileged material.If you are not the intended recipient
of this message please do not read ,copy, use or disclose this
communication and notify the sender immediately. It should be
noted that any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
use of, or taking action in reliance upon, this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
E-mail communications may be monitored.

##EXN2006##