httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nils Jeppe <n...@pandemonium.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Split-brain problem.
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:49:05 GMT

On 08.04.2008, at 09:30, Ch Praveena wrote:
>    While going on with Terracotta article,
> -- http://www.terracotta.org/confluence/display/explore/How+Terracotta+Works
> ,
> For implementing application server clustering, I found this phrase,
> "Split-brain problem."..
>
> Please let me know about this in detail..

Split brain refers to the problem where you have two equal servers,
and a problem occurs that causes the state to diverge between the two.
The cluster won't be able to decide on its own which version of the
state is "correct". One solution would be to employ at least three
systems and have them go by a majority decision. It's really more an
application / database problem that transcends Apache.

Best wishes
Nils