httpd-users mailing list archives

From Scott Gifford <sgiff...@suspectclass.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] About ListenBackLog and MinspareThread
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 03:44:57 GMT
"Arnab Ganguly" <aganguly01@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All,
> My Apache server is heavily loaded.I am using Apache 2.2.8 on Red-Hat 3 with
> MPM=worker.Can I reduce the load by reducing the value of
> ListenBackLog?

No, at best that will save you a small amount of memory in your TCP
stack, at worst it will cause you to lose connections.

> What is the impact on the webserver if I keep MinSpareThread 1?

This is likely to hurt performance in most cases.  Apache keeps spare
threads around so they will be ready as soon as a request comes in.
The lower MinSpareThread is, the more likely it will have to create a
new thread for a new client, which is expensive.

----Scott.