httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Query on Maxmemfree
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2008 19:17:14 GMT
On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Arnab Ganguly <aganguly01@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> How do I restrain Apache process to grow to a certain limit?

There is no function internal to apache to do that. You can probably
use ulimit in the script that starts apache. Of course, the processes
will die very ungracefully if they hit the OS limit.

You may want to look at MaxRequestsPerChild if you have buggy/leaky modules.

> And also when
> the process dies how do I make sure it releases the resource it had
> acquired.

This will happen automatically for most resources. Is there some
particular problem you are having?

> What is the impact of the parameter MaxMemFree ?

This won't do very much in normal use. Apache will try to free memory
back to the OS if it winds up with a bunch of unoccupied memory. The
OS may or may not reuse it. And in a busy server, it is unlikely that
particular processes will wind up allocating a bunch of memory and
then later not need it.

Joshua.