httpd-users mailing list archives

From Hiep Nguyen <h...@ee.ucr.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] httpd process
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2008 16:15:59 GMT
On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Hiep Nguyen <hiep@ee.ucr.edu> wrote:

>> > This is entirely normal. See:
>> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/prefork.html

>> > What happens when you try to access that URL?
>>  The page cannot be displayed
>
> What is the exact text that appears in the browser? (I'm guessing it
> is the standard network failure error message, but I want be sure.)
>

>>  <Where are you accessing
>> > it from? What happens if you try to access http://127.0.0.1/ from the
>> > server? What does the Listen directive in httpd.conf look like?
>> >

>>  i don't have x windows install, but i'll install lynx to test.  i haven't
>>  change anything in httpd.conf yet.  i'll into next.  any advice what i
>>  should change???
>
> The most likely explanations for not being able to access a running
> server have nothing to do with apache configuration. I would check the
> Listen directive just to be sure. But the problem is more likely to
> lie with your firewall (either internal to linux or a separate network
> firewall) or with other network configuration settings.

i found the problem in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

#ServerName www.example.com:80

should be:
ServerName 10.0.0.160:80
ServerName dev.jss.com:80

however, i just overwhelming with so many directives in this file.  any
advice on how to understand one by one.  it's just so much i don't know
where to start.  i assume the link at the very beginning of the file is
place to start.

i'm kinda newbie on this stuff.  i'm setup this box for development, but
will duplicate this box for production later on.

t. hiep