httpd-users mailing list archives

From "John P. Dodge" <do...@cruciate.ca.boeing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Problems building on Redhat (openssl conflict)
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:43:30 GMT
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 ohaya@cox.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build an SSL-enabled Apache 2.2.8 on a Redhat 4 system, but am running
into a problem.

> The problem is that for some reason, there is already an older (0.9.7a-43.16) version
of openssl on the machine, but no openssl-devel RPM was installed.

> So, I figured I'd build the latest openssl (0.9.8g) in /apps/openssl, and then build
Apache pointing it to /apps/openssl for the openssl.

> The build completed, but I'm getting SEGFAULTs when I try to access HTTPS urls.
>
> I don't think that I can remove the older openssl RPM, because it looks like there are
already a number of dependencies on it.

> So, I was wondering, what is the best approach to getting the Apache build done?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jim

RedHat updates the OpenSSL distribution with patches but does not roll the
version number.

This (43.16) is a pretty current release of "RedHat" OpenSSL. There are
slightly newer ones (43.17 is the current release).

It's funky but you may be better off just building with what RedHat
bundles.

"Mon aƩroglisseur est plein d'anguilles"
John P. Dodge
Boeing Shared Services