httpd-users mailing list archives

From Skye Poier Nott <s...@F4.ca>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_proxy performance with apache 2.2
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 00:51:16 GMT
Hi,

I am doing some load testing on a reverse proxy with apache 2.2 +
mod_proxy and I'm getting terrible throughput, I was wondering if
anyone had a suggestion.

I have the following config, all on gigabit ethernet:

1 origin server -> 2 mod_proxy servers -> 4 client simulators (flood)

The origin and proxy servers are configured with 100 name-based
virtual hosts, the proxy servers with config like this:

<VirtualHost *:80>
         ServerName w0099.example.com
         ProxyPass / http://10.100.10.XX:80/w0099/
         ProxyPassReverse / http://10.100.10.XX:80/w0099/
</VirtualHost>

When I start up flood on the client simulators (250 clients each), I
only get about 4 Mbit/sec out of the origin server.  I've tried
twiddling all the settings in mod_proxy to no avail (like smax=64
max=512 ttl=120 min=8 acquire=1)

If I set up lighttpd on the proxy servers, I fully saturate the gigE
on the origin server (~500 Mbit/sec)

What could explain this 125x difference in performance?  Is there some
sort of resource or lock or something contention in mod_proxy that I
should know about?

Thanks,
Skye