httpd-users mailing list archives

From James Ellis <ellisj...@hotmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Reverse Proxy HTTPS
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:38:36 GMT

I am trying to get a reverse proxy working for the following architecture:
Browser -->  HTTPS --> ServerA --> HTTPS --> Server B
I can get a half-a$$ solution working like this:

<VirtualHost _default_:443>SSLProxyEngine onSSLEngine onSSLCertificateFile "C:/Program
Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/conf/server.crt"SSLCertificateKeyFile "C:/Program
Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/conf/server.key"ProxyPass /clustertest   https://XXX.XXX.X.XXX:444/clustertest</VirtualHost>

...but this isn't exactly how I want it.  It's taking the certificate from ServerA and encrypting
request, but then creating a new SSL session to talk to ServerB.

I would like to be able to take the certificate from ServerB, encrypt the request and have
ServerA just "pass on" the whole encrypted request to ServerB.

Is this possible?

I followed the instructions in this link:  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-users/200605.mbox/%3C6ed6382b0605180048k4db72569gfee97d6ecd87cf9f@mail.gmail.com%3E
...but to no avail.  I keep getting the "Invalid method in request \x16\x03\x01" error which
makes me think that ServerA is saying "why isn't this request encrypted...this must be an
error".