httpd-users mailing list archives

From John Almberg <jalmb...@identry.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] using non-standard SSL ports
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 21:06:44 GMT
Technically, it all work fine. I think Joshua put his finger on the
fatal flaw -- corporate firewalls that block access to 'suspicious'
ports. Not a problem for most home users, but a serious problem for
people working behind paranoid/appropriately concerned corporate
firewalls...

Oh well. It sounded like a good idea! Luckily IP addresses are still
cheap and available. Guess I'll grab another block of 64.

Thanks: John

On Mar 27, 2008, at 2:00 PM, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Wilda, Jet
> <Jet.Wilda@chasepaymentech.com> wrote:
>> I think the bigger issue is that you certificate will be for 1
>> FQDN i.e.
>>  sample.com and hitting with any other FQDN will pop up a window
>> saying
>>  the certificate and servername don't match.
>
> No, he can supply a different certificate for each port. Port-based
> and IP-based virtual hosting are almost-identical from an application
> perspective. It is name-based virtual hosting that causes problems.
>
> Joshua.

Websites for On-line Collectible Dealers
Identry, LLC
John Almberg
(631) 546-5079
jalmberg@identry.com