httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Readable and L10N URIs with content negotiation and mod_rewrite/aliases
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 20:49:03 GMT
Daniel Aleksandersen wrote:
> On 2008-03-11, Dragon wrote:
>> Daniel Aleksandersen wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I need some help to think clearer.
>>>
>>> To copy the example used on “Making readable URIs” at W3C:
>>> “A Norwegian without knowledge of basic English would like to be
>>> able to remember "www.site.com/fiske/stenger" instead
>>> of "www.site.com/fishing/rods".”
>>>
>>> What I am wondering about is how I would go about rewriting the URIs
>>> in Apache to allow for content negotiation at these two URIs. If a
>>> Norwegian requests ‘www.site.com/fishing/rods’, he should get
>>> redirected to the Norwegian URI and served the Norwegian document.
>>> Say the location of the two versions is "/fishingrods.html.en and
>>> fishingrods.html.nb.
>> ---------------- End original message. ---------------------
>>
>> But what if a person with a non-English language
>> preference actually wants to view the English version?
>
> Then the user would click the link to get a cookie that would override the
> transparent content negotiation process. The idea of content negotiation
> is to suggest the best possible version automatically.

See the httpd 2.2 conf/extra/httpd-manual.conf for how this is rewritten
to be in a specific language-space.  (en/index.html vs no/index.html)

Now, if you want 12 different 'file names' for the same document, they
really can't be negotiated using conventional accept semantics because
foo.html(.en) ~= foo.html(.no) while foo.html(.en) is entirely unrelated
(in a uri-sense) to bar.html(.no).

You can do it - I suggest rewrite map db's, but you'll be at this a while,
and likely create yourself a maintenance headache.

Bill

Bill