httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael J Gruber <michaeljgruber+apa...@fastmail.fm>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite/mod_negotiation/mod_dir interaction and SSI
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:10:57 GMT
Joshua Slive venit, vidit, dixit 10.03.2008 14:57:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 7:35 AM, Michael J Gruber
> <michaeljgruber+apache@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>>  Background:
>>  I'm experimenting with per dir mod_rewrite although this stuff will end
>>  up in server config finally, this may make a difference. I'm using rules
>>  like
>
> I'm not even going to read the rest of the question because of this.
> Ordering and precedence issues behave very differently in server
> config versus per-dir. And things are usually (although not always)
> much simpler in server-config. So I don't see any point in testing one
> when you intend to do the other.

Had you been reading on you would have noticed that processing of
per-dir config poses some questions already (putting it as per-dir in
DOCROOT is always an option).

Case 2 as described suggests that the processing order is
mod_negotation, mod_rewrite.
Case 2 suggests that mod_dir is after mod_rewrite (because the rule is
not triggered), but the fact that the URL is resolved implies that
mod_negotiation is done after mod_dir. Bit it can't be a cycle.

If things behave differently in server/per-dir so be it, they still
should be well defined, even though different. Obviously, server config
is no good place for experiments.

Michael

P.S.: That makes 2 out of 2 responders not reading my question
(intentionally or unintentionally). I hope this is not a hallmark of
this list.