httpd-users mailing list archives

From <oh...@cox.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] [Apache 2.2.4/Internet Explorer] Strange access_log messages when access SSL URL
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Hi,

Sorry, but I have to clarify my last posting.  It turns out that even with the modified BrowserMatch,
there appear to be problems with some versions of Internet Explorer and my Apache 2.2.4 build
with SSL:

IE Version 6.0.3790.1830 - hangs occasionally when using SSL
IE Version 6.0.3790.3959 - no hanging when using SSL

The thing that I don't understand is that I got an Apache (with SSL) built by a colleague
(on a different build machine), but with the same Apache source, and when I bring his binaries
over to the same machine, his Apache 2.2.4 does not exhibit these problems with SSL.

I've matched up the openssl-devel RPMs on my machine vs. his, and also we both had openssl
0.9.7a, so does anyone have any ideas about why this would be happening?

Thanks,
Jim

---- ohaya@cox.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For the record, I just found a solution that works for me for the slow response with
IE6:

> I found what turned out to be the solution at:
>
>    http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:p3mqvzZBGpMJ:www.garayed.com/apache-configurations/210237-msie-nokeepalive-ssl-unclean-shutdown-directive-causes-slow-responses.html+internet+explorer+apache+ssl+slow&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us
>
> [See the 11-09-2006, 05:22 PM post from Renzo Zagni]
>
> In my case, in my extra/httpd-ssl.conf, I commented out the original lines and added
the suggested lines, so I ended up with:

> # ORIGINAL - REMOVE TO TRY FIX SLOW IE6
> #BrowserMatch ".*MSIE.*" \
> #         nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
> #         downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
>

> # ADDED - 03/23/08 - THIS FIXES THE SLOW IE6 SSL PROBLEM!!
> BrowserMatch "MSIE [1-4]" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
> BrowserMatch "MSIE [5-9]" ssl-unclean-shutdown
>
> I hope that this helps someone, because this problem has caused me several days/nights
worth of work and worrying :)!!

> Jim
>

> ---- ohaya@cox.net wrote:
> > P.S.  I forgot to mention:  This problem appears to only happen if I use Internet
Explorer as the browser.  If I use Mozilla Firefox, the SSL pages appear quickly.

> > Jim
> >

> > ---- ohaya@cox.net wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm building and trying to get an Apache 2.2.4 system working with SSL.
> > >
> > > I've gotten the build done, and it's configured for SSL with server certs,
etc., and when I access some simple HTML pages, it works ok.

> > > However, if I access pages that have images, etc. using Internet Explorer,
the page is only partially loaded initially, and the images, etc. take a really long time
to appear, so I've been trying to figure out what is wrong.

> > > I noticed that in the Apache access_log file, I was seeing messages like the
following:

> > > ::1 - - [23/Mar/2008:21:07:25 +0000] "GET /" 400 44
> > >
> > > [Notice no "HTTP/1.0" or "HTTP/1.1" after the "GET /".]
> > >
> > > I found some information indicating that this problem might be because of using
"*" in the NameVirtualHost and <VirtualHost>, so I changed that to the <IP>:443,
and then I still get messages like: