httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Danie Qian" <dan...@bestningning.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] how would I serve up an upload/download directory for each user
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 18:31:39 GMT
Have you considered the possibility of using some kind of file management software in PHP?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Tim Edwards
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 1:25 PM
  Subject: [users@httpd] how would I serve up an upload/download directory for each user

  Hi,

  Im trying to use Apache to essentially replicate the functionality of our FTP server (weve
found a lot of customers have corporate policies/firewalls stopping them accessing FTP but
not http/s). The idea is that each customer has a Linux user created for them and can login
with Apache setup to use mod_auth_shadow. However I want each user to have a directory into
which they can upload files, as well as download. I can see a few possibilities:

  * Use mod_userdir so each user has a https://servername.com/~username site. My problem with
this is that Id have to give the apache user rights to write to users home directories
to allow uploads, Im not sure if this is a good idea security-wise. However this server
is single-purpose C no one except administrators will be logging into it or interacting with
it in any way except through httpd.

  * Use some kind of module that allows apache to spawn a sub-process running as the user
who logged in through mod_auth_shadow. Does such a module exist?

  * Give up on the idea of using users home dirs and create a setup with virtual hosts and
a directory owned by the apache user. Eg. have all users files under /var/www/users/<username>
and have a virtual host for each /var/www/users/<username> dir. Im not sure how to
do this in any automated fashion though C is there a way to coerce mod_userdir into working
like this?

  Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

  --

  Tim Edwards