httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_deflate's problems
Date Fri, 29 Feb 2008 03:25:00 GMT
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 8:46 PM, J. Peng <peng.kyo@gmail.com> wrote:
> I mean I access to apache directly, didn't go through any cache/proxy.
>  ie6 with http/1.0 has problems with a Vary: header, if the response
>  was not gziped.
>  What I think is if mod_deflate DIDN'T compress a file, it SHOULD NOT
>  send a Vary header.

That is NOT how Vary works. Go read the HTTP spec. If your content
changes based on a header, then you must report that header in Vary
for ALL requests. Otherwise, a cache would take the request that it
got for a client that didn't have support gzip and send it to browsers
that do support gzip, negating the benefit of gzip.

I also showed you an easy way to work around the problem if you don't
care about incorrect responses from caches.